Welcome to Hospital for Special Care!
This page contains relevant information to acquaint you with Hospital for Special Care (HFSC) and get you started in your new position. Please review the information below before coming to your first day. After reviewing, please complete the discipline-specific forms and return upon your first day.
What do I need to know before my first day at HFSC?
Attire and Name Badges
- Hospital/school dress code applies.
- Students: Wear uniform required by your school.
- Name badge is required. Must be hung above the waist and visible to patients and staff.
- No open-toed shoes or shoes with holes if you work in a clinical area.
- No artificial nails. Fingernails should be trimmed, no chipped nail polish.
- Long or dangling hair should be pulled back for infection control and safety reasons.
- Refer to the HFSC “Work Attire” policy for specific information about what to wear. Specific non-clinical departments may have additional dress requirements.
Main Campus Parking:
2150 Corbin Avenue, New Britain, CT 06053
- Park as instructed by your instructor or hospital contact. On the first day, this may be in a visitor lot. However, after the first day at HFSC, you would be expected to park in the designated lot assigned to you. For the daytime shift, this might be Lot E or Lot F. Evening shift generally parks in Lot C.
- You should enter the hospital through the Main Entrance. In some instances, badge access may be permitted through the Ambulance Entrance or Aquatic Rehabilitation Center.
- At each entrance, there is a temperature kiosk that you must stop at first. If you have a temperature or symptoms of illness, you are not allowed to continue into the building and should notify your instructor or hospital contact.
Satellite Campus, Mt. Sinai Hospital:
500 Blue Hills Avenue, Hartford, CT
- The parking lot is across the street from the hospital. The entrance is on Tower Avenue.
- Turn right on entering the parking lot and park in the rear of the lot, unless otherwise directed by your instructor or hospital security.
Inspire is our employee intranet. It contains news, tools, resources and other valuable information sources. Depending on the amount of time you are spending at HFSC and your responsibilities, you will receive temporary computer access to access Inspire.
What else is found on Inspire?
- Policies and Procedures: Listed in a policy manager program, “SYMPLR”.
- Drug reference: Lexicomp
- Library resources and databases: Access to databases for literature searches
- Nursing Reference Center: Resource for disease processes, clinical skills and procedures
- Safety Data Sheets: Contains essential information about chemicals and products used at HFSC, safe handling, storage and spill or exposure mitigation.
- Florida Diet Manual: Reference for diets and nutrition
HFSC uses Allscripts/Sunrise, an electronic medical record system. Students, Instructors and contracted clinical staff whose job responsibilities require E.H.R. access for documentation purposes may be granted temporary access to perform your job/role responsibilities. Most documentation is done electronically.
Photocopying or printing medical records is prohibited.
HFSC offers dining services during the mid-day hours on Monday through Friday to employees, visitors, contractors and students (check posted hours as they may vary slightly from time to time). The cafeteria offers grill items, salads, hot entrees, drinks, desserts each day at a nominal charge.
Vending machines with snacks and drinks are also available in the cafeteria.
The seating area of the cafeteria is open 24 hours a day, and in pleasant warm weather offers an outside courtyard for dining.
During off-shift or weekend hours, students, faculty, and contracted staff are encouraged to bring a meal or may purchase snack items from the vending machines. A community refrigerator is provided in the cafeteria. Any items placed in this refrigerator must be labeled with the owner name and date. Food left overnight may be discarded.
Also located at our Main Campus, in the Main Lobby area, is The Kitchen at Futures Inc. café. The cafe offers breakfast treats and staples, sandwiches, soups, coffee, tea, and other delights available for purchase. The shop is generally open weekdays during daytime hours.
A cafeteria is available for daytime hours. Check with Satellite staff for operating hours. Bringing a bag meal is also encouraged.
Located at our Main campus, a Webster Bank ATM is available on the first floor near the Chapel for convenient banking.
Policies/Procedures and Information
There are a few very important policies that we want you to be aware of. Please read the following before you begin your first day:
- Emergency Plans
- Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Confidentiality Policy
- Code of Conduct/Corporate Compliance
- Infection Prevention & Control Education
- Infection Prevention & Control Review
- Pediatric Patient Safety
- Social Media Policy
- Student Guidelines for Appropriate Use of Personal Technology in the Clinical Setting
- Hazard Communications Standards (SDS)
- HFSC Policy on Injuries or Body Fluid Exposure to Affiliated Students, Residents, Fellows, Clinical Instructors, Contractors, Volunteers, and Similar
- Work Attire and Dress Code Policy
- CHAMP Safety Behaviors
Smoking is prohibited on hospital buildings and grounds.
Forms for All Students, Contract/ Agency Providers, and School Nurses
Please print and sign all forms. Bring completed forms on your first day.
- Flu Vaccine Attestation Form
- HIPAA Acknowledgement
- Confidentiality Statement
- UBSP and Safety Statement
Student Only Forms
Students, in addition to the forms for All Students, Contract/ Agency Providers, and School Nurses, please print and sign forms below to acknowledge your understanding. Bring completed forms on your first day.
Faculty Only Forms
Faculty and teachers of students, in addition to the forms for All Students, Contract/ Agency Providers, and School Nurses, please print and sign forms below to acknowledge your understanding. Bring completed forms on your first day.
- Student Affiliations Policy for Nursing, Therapy, Observational and Co-operative Students
- Faculty Demographic Information
- Orientation Record-Faculty
Contract/Agency Provider Only Forms
Contract/Agency Providers, in addition to the forms for All Students, Contract/ Agency Providers, and School Nurses, please print and sign forms below to acknowledge your understanding. Bring completed forms when you come to Hospital for Special Care.
School Nurse Only Forms
School nurses, in addition to the forms for All Students, Contract/ Agency Providers, and School Nurses, please print and sign forms below to acknowledge your understanding. Bring completed forms when you come to Hospital for Special Care.