Hospital for Special Care Awards $37,000 in Scholarships to Nine Local StudentsJuly 27, 2016
John Votto, D.O., F.C.C.P., chief executive officer, Center for Special Care; Lynn Ricci, FACHE, president & CEO, Hospital for Special Care and Mike Timura honor nine students for their academic achievements in medicine, physical therapy and nursing.
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. (July. 27, 2016) – Hospital for Special Care (HSC) is honoring nine area students for their academic achievements in medicine, physical therapy and nursing. The second Florence Timura Medical Student Scholarship is awarded to Harrison J. Hayward, a fourth-year medical student at University of Connecticut (UConn) School of Medicine in the amount of $12,000. The first Florence Timura Physical Therapy Scholarship is awarded to Sarah Hillman, a fourth-year physical therapy student at the University of Hartford in the amount of $6,000. Both scholarships are made possible through a contribution to HSC by Mike Timura, a longtime friend, business associate and benefactor of the Hospital, in honor of his wife Florence.
The following annual nursing scholarships are also awarded:
- The Rona Botwinick and Florence Timura Nursing Scholarship: Jessica Mills, a freshman at the UConn School of Nursing, $3,000.
- The Rona Botwinick Nursing Scholarship: Nicholas M. Cyr, a freshman at Central Connecticut State University (CCSU) department of nursing, $3,000.
- The Florence Timura Nursing Scholarship: Brianna A. Lagassey, a freshman at the University of Rhode Island, department of nursing, $2,750.
- The Dr. Michael Timura, III Nursing Scholarship: Emma R. Heslin, a freshman at Simmons College, department of nursing, $2,750.
- The Paul Sutula Nursing Scholarship: Emily E. Gregonis, a senior at CCSU, department of nursing, $2,500.
- The Elizabeth Timura Gold Star Mother Nursing Scholarship: Emily K. Rose, a junior at CCSU, department of nursing, $2,500.
- The John Timura Nursing Scholarship: Jaclyn M. Ortiz, freshman at CCSU, department of nursing, $2,500.
HSC scholarships are funded through the Hospital for Special Care Foundation, Inc.’s Annual Giving Program, through the generous gifts of hospital employees, and, in part, through the Advancement for Nursing Endowment Fund established by Mr. Allen Botwinick and Mr. Mike Timura in celebration of and in honor of their wives. Mr. Timura funded additional nursing scholarships. For more information, please visit www.hfsc.org.