- Areas of Specialization
- About Us
- Patients & Families
- Contact Us
The Hospital for Special Care Auxiliary, an integral aspect of our hospital, reflects a rich tradition of caring for our patients. While most costs for medical care are reimbursed by third party payers, HSC’s clinicians are able to provide special care to patients thanks to the generous support of the Auxiliary.
New Britain Memorial Hospital (NBMH) had already come to rely on the work of volunteers, when in 1952, Dorothy Vance, a hospital board member organized the women volunteering at Memorial into an Auxiliary. To raise money to support hospital programs, the Auxiliary opened the NBMH Thrift Shop in downtown New Britain the next year. For 64 years the Thrift Shop funded HSC patient programs.
In 1987, volunteer Peg Denuzze organized, opened, and managed "The Little Store" gift shop at the hospital. Since its inception, the shop has been fully managed and staffed by our dedicated Auxiliary volunteers. Proceeds from shop sales---about $100,000 annually, fund a variety of patient activities and hospital programs. The Little Store serves to meet the shopping needs of visitors, patients, employees. In addition to offering the expected cards, snacks, periodicals, and all things chocolate, shoppers in the greater New Britain area know our charming boutique as a place to find gifts for adults and children, and unique jewelry and accessories.
Fund-raising by the HSC Auxiliary
Other fund-raising projects sponsored by the HSC Auxiliary include:
- One-day vendor sales of jewelry, clothing, shoes, and specialty foods
- Annual Mother’s Day plant sale (Thursday and Friday before Mother’s Day)
- Semi-annual uniform sale
Support for Patients' Programs
Over the years, the Auxiliary has helped HSC and its patients in many, many ways. Just a few of the highlights of their support:
- The Santa Project: for 57 years, Auxiliary volunteers have shopped for and wrapped presents for every patient who will be at HSC through the holiday season. Patients suggest their preferred gift through a ‘wish list’, and the volunteers purchase gifts with each patient in mind. The Auxiliary organizes a party, including a meal and live music, for patients and their families.
- Wheelchair accessible van for patient trips to medical appointments and recreational activities.
- In early support of the expansion of our outpatient services, the Auxiliary has made a significant commitment to the project by funding the planned relocation of our coffee shop, the Espress Café.
- Unit medical and recreation equipment for specific patient needs.
Joining the HSC Auxiliary
You are invited to join the more than two hundred members of the HSC Auxilary and show your support for the mission of Hospital for Special Care. Memberships start at $10 per year. Lifetime membership is $100. For information on membership, please call 860.827.1958, extension 5062.